Here are 5 simple remedies that can help you fight the infections causing cold and cough or that painful sore throat. Furthermore these are immunity booster remedies so they can prevent the infections in the first place.
These remedies mainly comprises ingredients from OTKC – Over the Kitchen Counter. The ingredients found in your kitchen counters will help you fight effectively and moreover are better than many OTC medicine.
1. Kadha / Kashayam
Kadha is effective in treating and preventing sore throat, cold, congestion and cough. Helps to hydrate and loosen the mucous. Ingredients used in Kadha have anti-oxidant and also posses immunity booster properties.
- Water : 1 ½ cup
- Dry Ginger Powder : 1 tbsp
- Jaggery Powder : ½ -1 tbsp
- Black Pepper : ¾ tsp
- Cumin Seeds : ¾ tsp
- Turmeric Powder : 1 tsp
- Cardamom : 1 – 2 pods
- Chai Masala(optional) : ½ tsp
- Heat water in a Pan.
- Add all the ingredients.
- Let the mixture boil for 5-7 mins on medium flame.
- Strain it and serve hot.
- Optionally: Top it with half spoon of Honey , if mixture is peppery or pungent
- Adult – 1 cup – 2 or 3 times a day .
- Children – ½ cup – 1 -2 times a day.
2. Ginger Churanam / Gingerly Ladoos
Ginger Churanam is effective in treating dry wet cough. Treats loss of appetite due to nasal congestion and other seasonal related flu symptoms.
- Dry Ginger Powder : 3 tbsp
- Jaggery Powder : 1 ½ -2 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder : ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp
- Desi Ghee(*optional) : 1-2 tbsp
- Mix all the dry ingredients well.
- Add in the Desi ghee a few drops at a time.
- Roll the mixture into small mini-sized ladoos.
- Optionally if not using Ghee, melt the Jaggery by heating with ½ tbsp of water and make the mini Gingerly ladoos.
- Take 2 Gingerly Ladoos a day.
- Do not swallow , let the ladoos remain in your mouth for a few seconds.
- Do not consume anything 30 mins before and after eating the Gingerly ladoos.
3. Ginger And Honey Syrup :
Ginger and Honey Syrup Treats Cold, Dry Cough and Nasal congestion effectively. It is effective remedy for cold and cough in children above 3 years of age. It is suitable for individuals of all age group. Gingerol contained in ginger has powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.As a result it works well to control free radicals present in the body , thereby reducing stress naturally.
- Fresh Ginger Juice -1 tsp
- Honey – ½ -1 tsp
- Mix Ginger Juice with Honey
- Adult : 2-3 times a Day
- Children: above 3 years :1- 2 times a Day.
4. Mustard Rice :
Mustard rice is effective for Running Nose, Congestion and Sinusitis.Mustard seeds generate heat in the body and warms the muscle.Hence helps in loosening of phlegm and mucous. Thus aids the body in getting rid of them easily. Children above 7 years can have mustard rice with ghee for relief from cold.
- Black Mustard Seeds : 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste.
- Steam Cooked Hot Rice : 1 Cup
- Ghee : ¼ – ½ tsp
- Red Chilly : ¼ of a Red chilly (Optional)
- On Hot Kadai Add the Mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Dry Roast Red Chili.
- Add Salt , Make fine Powder of the Roasted Mustard Seeds and Chili.
- Mix this Powder into Steamed Rice and top it with Ghee.
- Consume 2 times a Day.
5. Anu Taila:
Anu Taila effective in treating nasal congestion and allergic rhinitis. This Ayurvedic Oil (Taila) has lot of other benefits. In addition to treating cold symptoms, it prevents premature greying of hair, treats dull skin, improves vision.
2 Times A Day: Put 4-5 Drops On Each Nostrils Of Your Nose.
Can be used regularly, it works well to improve you skin, hair, eyesight , in addition to being effective in treating upper respiratory infections. For this reason Anu Taila works well both as curative and preventive remedy for common cold, cough, for allergic cold and sinusitis related issues.
Anu Taila Is Easily Available On Amazon, Pharmacies and Ayurvedic Stores
Other Effective Remedies
Amla , Garlic and Honey:
Consume Regularly Amla, Garlic and Honey. add these three items to your Daily Diet.
Salt Water Gargling :
In a Cup of hot water add about 1 tsp of Salt and Gargle your mouth. Effective in treating throat infection and upper respiratory infections.
What more Now With The above listed remedies you have the aid to Effectively Prevent and treat Seasonal Infections Causing Cold , Cough , Sore Throat Chest Congestion and Mild flu.
Let us know if you found these remedies useful in the comment section below.
Do Let us know, if these remedies were helpful for you and your dear ones. Also share in the comments below if you have any tried and tested Cold Cough Home remedies.