We hope you and your baby/babies are doing great. Here is a very useful and awaited read for you!
Are you someone who has a low milk supply to feed your baby?
Often breastfeeding your baby becomes so difficult when you aren’t producing enough milk for them. As Breast milk is the A to Z nutrition for your baby, ensuring enough milk supply is of dire importance.
Low milk production happens due to many reasons, including your past health condition, excessive blood loss during pregnancy, and poor diet. Normally, you can increase milk production by adopting healthy and nutritious diet practices.
What are those foods you must include in your daily diet to increase your milk supply?
Check out these 3 superfoods that lactating mothers should never fail to consume:
Leafy green vegetables
It is a superfood for all, not particularly lactating mothers. Leafy veggies including spinach, broccoli, methi leaves, lettuce etc have a positive effect on breast milk production.
- It is rich in vitamins (A, C, E and K), fibre, antioxidants and calcium.
- Also, low in calories you can eat plenty and don’t have to worry about putting weight.
- Consume a bare minimum of one serving a day.
- Include it in your diet in any form: Salads, omelettes, smoothies, stir-fry, casseroles, etc.
Nuts and seeds
These are very effective foods to give an instant boost to your milk supply. But you should not have them plenty.
- Nuts and seeds contain protein, fibre, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and healthy fats.
- Having nuts and seeds can increase the creaminess, sweetness, and amount of breast milk.
- Almonds are touted as great for breastfeeding moms as a good non-dairy source of calcium.
- Have a handful of almonds, walnut, pistachio, pumpkin seeds, fenugreek etc daily as snacks, or drinks or by adding them to your daily meal.
- Many lactating mothers also eat sesame seeds to increase milk production.
- They also are packed with calcium, fibre and minerals. You can have them by toasting and sprinkling them over a salad or veggies.
Nutritious and rich in carbs this one is a staple food for breastfeeding mothers as this can keep you energetic for a long time. Eating whole grains may increase your breast milk supply.
- Whole grains such as white rice, brown rice, oats, pasta, bread etc are known to have properties that support the hormones responsible for making breast milk.
- The slow-cooked old-fashioned oatmeal is probably the best food you can have this time.
- You can also add barley, whole-grain brown rice, oatmeal cookies, or other foods made from whole grains to your daily diet to feel the difference.
- Here are some oat recipes you can try: Click here
These are just some of the food you must be having during the post-pregnancy care period. There is much food you can eat and should be eating, but you should never compromise on having these 3 if you want a consistent and required milk supply for your toddler.
Attention must be paid to having varied and organic foods and you must cut the processed and non-healthy sources of food. If low milk production still persists don’t shy away from consulting your doctor for help.
Happy and healthy motherhood ladies <3