French fries go with almost everything, the best serve being burgers, steak and fried chicken. These days people are letting their creative juices flow and are coming up with a ton of fusion delicacies with just french fries. But did you know that there is a particular day allotted to acknowledge this all-rounder of a dish which falls this month? – World French Fries day is celebrated every year on July 13th to express admiration for the dish for making it to the international menu.
So why don’t we take our regular fries to a whole new level and try novel recipes in our homes? Consider me to be your personified cookbook because I have exciting recipes for you!
1. Cheesy taco fries
- 2 cups French fries
- 1 cup ground beef/chicken
- 1/2 tablespoon New Mexico chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Sour cream as per taste
- In a skillet, cook the ground meat (of your choice) in medium-high heat.
- Season the meat with chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Give it a good stir.
- Cover and cook the meat for about 10 minutes until the water evaporates
- On a serving plate, layer the fries and top them with the cooked ground meat. Sprinkle lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and a drizzle of sour cream. Time to dig in!
- 2 cups french fries
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cheddar cheese curd
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add shallot and garlic to it
- Cook them under medium heat until translucent (3 minutes tops)
- To the pan, add chicken and beef stock, peppercorns, worcestershire sauce, ketchup and vinegar and let it boil for a while.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter and add the all-purpose flour. Stir until it’s slightly browned.
- Add the cooked gravy to the flour and butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble your poutine by taking some french fries on a plate, layer it with cheese curds and a generous drizzle of hot gravy on top!
3. Streak n Fries Salad
- 1 cup french fries
- ½ pound steak of your choice
- ½ cup torn lettuce
- ⅓ cup chopped tomato
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Season your streak as per your preference and cook it in a hot skillet pan.
- Once it’s well cooked, let it rest for 5 minutes until you cut the pan-seared steak into strips.
- Toss the strips into a bowl of chopped onions, tomatoes and lettuce.
- Top the salad with french fries and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- For the dressing whisk together vinegar, canola oil, sugar and water and add seasoning if required.
Drizzle and enjoy!
4. French fires pizza
- 4 cups french fries
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of your choice – veggies, pepperoni, shredded meat
- In a bowl, slightly mash the french fries and mix them with cornstarch
- Spread the mixture in a pizza pan, in the shape of a crust.
- To the french fries crust, spread out an even layer of pizza sauce and top it with shredded cheese
- Add toppings as per your preference and bake the pizza for 15mins in a preheated oven.
There you have it. Cut into slices and serve!
5. Chinese french fries
- 1 ½ cup french fries
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 spring onion bulbs, finely chopped
- 6-7 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into thick strips and blanched
- 8-10 broccoli florets, blanched
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoon red chilli sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2-3 stalks of spring onion greens, chopped
- 1 tablespoon burnt garlic
- In a wok, add chopped spring onions bulbs and mushrooms. Saute for a minute.
- Add blanched carrot and broccoli and saute for a couple of minutes.
- To the veggies, add red chilli sauce, soy sauce and salt. Give it a quick stir.
- Toss the french fries into the sauce and top it with spring onions greens and burnt garlic.
So, ladies, these recipes are proof of how to add some twist to your classic french fries. Although these are simple and quick bites, there is no compromise in flavour. Try them out and let us know your favourite one in the comments section below.
Follow AskPankhuri on Instagram