Weekend vacations appear to be the most straightforward to pack for. But they are always the most difficult. Weekends should be easy. The travel is short, the weather isn’t going to change much, and you presumably know what you’re going to do.
Packing light for a weekend trip, on the other hand, can be difficult. We all have a tendency to pack as much as we can, rather than just what we need. You’ll undoubtedly fill your bag or suitcase whether you’re travelling for a weekend or a month. When you have the space, you begin to accumulate items that you will never use, such as an extra pair of shoes or a “just in case” dress.
I enjoy weekend getaways. They can be pretty inexpensive, and I appreciate having a flavour of a place I might wish to return again. Plus, it’s simpler to be a little more spontaneous, especially if you’re staying near to home. Simply rent a hotel room, pack a few essentials, and you’re on your way! But, before you leave, use this weekend packing list to ensure you have everything you need.
Packing list for a weekend getaway
Use this as the foundation for any weekend trip packing list.
See below for packing list variants for warm weather, beach weekends, mild weather, outdoor getaways, and long weekend vacations of three to four days.
- two sets of pants (I like to include a pair of dark jeans that I can dress up or down)
- 1 night out outfit (dress or skirt/dressy pants with a dressy top)
- 1 basic jewellery set to match with anything
- 1 pair of comfortable walking or travel shoes These are my personal favourites.
- 1 pair of dressier shoes or a pair of basic flats
- three of the best (including 1 dressy top or sweater for a night out)
- Flip flops or slippers (for walking around in your hotel room or making a quick trip to the ice machine down the hall). I never leave the house without these flip-flops. And these are without a doubt my favourite slippers… ideal for a short dash down the hall
Semi-sarcastic pro tip: Checking the weather forecast for your trip shortly before packing is critical to packing only what you’ll likely need and not forgetting what you’ll want to have with you.
Personal products and toiletries:
When I stay in a hotel, I never bring shampoo, conditioner, or body wash because I know my room will be well-stocked with these goods. You may always ask housekeeping for more if you need them throughout your stay, and I always take my “leftovers” home with me. They’ll be ideal for my upcoming weekend visit to family.
And, because I’m not finicky about hair styling tools, I’d rather use the hotel’s hair dryer than bring my own. One less thing to remember.
I also save space by only bringing what I need for a couple of days’ worth of skin care. The extra treatments and masks can be used at home.
- Essential skin care products
- A few basic OTC medications like Tylenol, Pepto Bismol tablets, sleep aids, etc.
- Dietary supplements and/or any prescription medications
- Hair care products
- Hair styling tools
- Toothbrush/toothpaste/dental floss
It’s not a big deal if you forget something! In today’s society, you can buy almost anything from anywhere in the world. So, if you forget something, just buy it on the spot. Sure, it increases the cost of your trip, but if it’s that important, you’ll be able to use it at home as well.
(Toothpaste and socks are the two things I’m infamous for forgetting – yet you can’t go a weekend without them!) I’ve gotten very skilled at locating them in airports and pharmacies all across the world.)
Stay tuned because i’m coming up with Weekend Getaway options near you very soon!!